Toronto is a coffee lover’s dream come true. With so many independent coffee shops and roasters in the city, there’s...Read More
The Best Korean Fried Chicken in Toronto
Sorry KFC lovers, but the Korean fried chicken is hands down one of the best fried chicken you could ever have. If you are a fan of these crispy and mouth-watering street eats, then you’ve gotta try the saucy and spicy chicken from Korea. We have been looking here in the 6ix to get one of the top fried chickens, and we’ve found multiple restaurants serving authentic Korean-style fried chicken that you can visit right now. Check out our list, 10 of the best places to get Korean fried chicken in Toronto.
In addition to the city’s Korean fried chicken scene, Toronto is also home to several Korean grocery stores, where you can find a wide range of Korean ingredients, snacks, and drinks to recreate your favorite Korean dishes at home.
1) Mymy Chicken
Address: 9 Spring Garden Ave, North York, ON M2N 3G1
Photo credit: Toronto Food by Iris Lo 🇨🇦 (@foodscope)
2) Chicken in the Kitchen
Address: 5600 Yonge St, North York, ON M2N 5S2
Instagram: Chicken in the Kitchen (@chickeninthekitchen_ca)
3) KoSam Korean Restaurant and Bar
Address: 4922 Yonge St, North York, ON M2N 5N5
Address: 5865 Leslie St, North York, ON M2H 1J8
4) Home of Hot-Taste
Address: 5 Glen Cameron Rd #3B, Thornhill, ON L3T 5W2
Photo credit: Lawson | Toronto & GTA Foodie’s (@_lawlam.eats
5) ONNURI Korean Restaurant
Address: 3330 Pharmacy Ave, Scarborough, ON M1W 3V8
Photo credit: https://www.instagram.com/lil_fooodie/
6) Don Chon Korean BBQ & Wings
Address: 834 The Queensway, Etobicoke, ON M8Z 1N5
Photo credit: James Hung (@jameshung15)
7) The Fry
Address: 6012 Yonge St, North York, ON M2M 3V9
Address: 528 Yonge St, Toronto, ON M4Y 1X9
Photo credit: Jeff Kohn (@jeffkohn)
8) Mr. ChiMaek
Address: 7665 Kennedy Rd, Markham, ON L3R 0L7
Photo credit: Elaine (ﾉ｡･ω･｡)ﾉ♡ (@elainee_eats)
9) JEON JU HYANG
Address: 3740 Midland Ave, Scarborough, ON M1V 4V3
Photo credit: Toronto Eats | A&H Recommends (@ahsoyummy)
FAQs About Korean Fried Chicken
Fried chicken and Korean fried chicken are similar in that they are both made with chicken that is breaded and then deep-fried until crispy. However, there are some key differences between the two:
- Batter: Korean fried chicken is typically coated in a thinner, crisper batter that is made with cornstarch or potato starch. This creates a lighter, more delicate texture than traditional fried chicken, which often has a thicker, more substantial batter made with flour.
- Seasonings: Korean fried chicken is often seasoned with a variety of spices and flavors, such as garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and gochujang (a Korean chili paste). This gives it a unique, savory taste that sets it apart from traditional fried chicken.
- Twice-frying: Another key difference is that Korean fried chicken is often twice-fried. After the chicken is initially fried, it is removed from the oil and allowed to rest for a few minutes before being fried again at a higher temperature. This gives the chicken an extra crispy exterior while keeping the meat inside juicy and tender.
Overall, Korean fried chicken has a distinct flavor and texture that sets it apart from traditional fried chicken. It’s a delicious and popular dish that’s enjoyed all over the world.
Korean fried chicken is typically seasoned with a variety of spices and flavors, which give it a unique and delicious taste. Some of the most common seasonings used in Korean fried chicken include garlic, ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and gochujang (a Korean chili paste). These ingredients are often combined with other spices and flavorings, such as honey, brown sugar, sesame oil, and black pepper, to create a complex and savory taste. Depending on the recipe or the restaurant, other seasonings like curry powder, cumin, or paprika may also be used. Overall, the specific combination of spices and flavors used in Korean fried chicken can vary, but they are an essential part of what makes this dish so distinctive and flavorful.
Yangnyeom (seasoned) chicken is one of the most popular types of Korean fried chicken. This type of chicken is typically marinated in a seasoned batter made with a variety of spices and flavorings, such as garlic, ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and gochujang (a Korean chili paste). The seasoned batter gives the chicken a delicious and complex flavor that is both savory and slightly sweet. Yangnyeom chicken is often served with a variety of dipping sauces, such as sweet chili sauce or a spicy garlic mayo, which further enhances its flavor. Overall, Yangnyeom chicken is a popular and delicious dish that has gained a following all over the world.
Korean fried chicken has gained popularity around the world for several reasons:
- Flavor: Korean fried chicken is seasoned with a variety of spices and flavors, such as garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and gochujang (a Korean chili paste), which gives it a unique and delicious taste. This flavor profile sets it apart from traditional fried chicken and has helped it gain a devoted following.
- Texture: The batter used to coat Korean fried chicken is often thinner and crispier than the batter used for traditional fried chicken, which creates a lighter and more delicate texture. Additionally, the chicken is often twice-fried, which gives it an extra crispy exterior while keeping the meat inside juicy and tender.
- Variety: Korean fried chicken can be prepared in many different ways, with a range of seasonings, sauces, and dipping options. This versatility allows for a range of flavor and texture combinations, which makes it appealing to a broad range of taste preferences.
- Cultural significance: Korean fried chicken is a popular food in South Korea, where it is often served as a bar snack or late-night snack. This cultural significance has helped to spread its popularity to other countries, where it has become a beloved comfort food and a staple of Korean cuisine.
Overall, the delicious taste, unique texture, and cultural significance of Korean fried chicken have helped it gain a wide following and become a popular dish around the world.
Korean fried chicken is often served with a variety of side dishes and dipping sauces to complement its delicious flavor. Here are some of the most popular dishes to serve with Korean fried chicken:
- Pickled vegetables: Korean-style pickled vegetables, such as pickled radish or pickled cucumber, are a great accompaniment to Korean fried chicken. They provide a refreshing and tangy flavor that balances the richness of the chicken.
- Kimchi: Kimchi is a fermented vegetable dish that is a staple in Korean cuisine. Its spicy and sour flavor pairs well with the savory taste of Korean fried chicken.
- Rice: Steamed rice is a common side dish in Korean cuisine and is often served with Korean fried chicken to balance the richness of the chicken.
- Beer: Korean fried chicken is often enjoyed as a bar snack or a late-night snack, and it pairs well with beer. Many restaurants and bars in Korea offer beer and Korean fried chicken as a popular food and drink pairing.
- Dipping sauces: Korean fried chicken is often served with a variety of dipping sauces, such as sweet chili sauce or spicy garlic mayo, which enhance the flavor of the chicken and add an extra layer of deliciousness.
Overall, the side dishes and dipping sauces served with Korean fried chicken can vary depending on the restaurant and the region, but they are an essential part of the Korean fried chicken experience.
Toronto’s Korean fried chicken scene is a true gem for food lovers in the city. The Korean community has brought its unique culinary culture to Toronto, and the result is some of the most delicious and creative Korean fried chicken dishes you’ll ever taste. From classic spicy varieties to innovative new flavors, Toronto’s Korean restaurants offer something to suit every taste. The perfect combination of crispy skin and juicy meat makes the best Korean fried chicken a truly delightful culinary experience. Whether you’re a seasoned fan of Korean cuisine or simply curious to try something new, be sure to explore the city’s top Korean fried chicken spots – you won’t be disappointed. And while Korean fried chicken may steal the show, don’t miss out on some of the best Korean BBQ restaurants in the city.
You might also like...
The 13 Best Gelato Shops in Toronto
Gelato is a delicious Italian dessert that is made with milk, cream, sugar and eggs.Read More
The 11 Best Pizza Places in Toronto
Toronto is a pizza lover’s paradise, with something to please everyone’s palate.Read More
The 8 Best French Restaurants in Toronto
French restaurants in Toronto are unlike any other; it has a lengthy history, with one restaurant in the city that...Read More
The Best Korean Restaurants in Toronto
The best Korean restaurants in Toronto will have you slurping up soondae (blood sausage), digging into dumplings and diving into...Read More
Best Kosher Sushi Restaurants in Toronto
Toronto has some of the best kosher sushi in all of Canada!Read More