How to upgrade your home’s exterior
With everyone stuck at home, home renovation projects have become a popular activity for many homeowners. The home improvement and outdoor entertainment goods sections of stores saw an increase to 3.5 billion in sales in June 2020, which was higher than May and June of last year. This increase in the purchase of home renovation supplies has even led to a shortage of wood in the lumber industry. However, companies that primarily sell hardware and many home-renovation materials/tools such as Lowe’s Canada, have a significant amount of increase in their sales of greater than 20%. This demonstrates the popularity of home renovation during this time.
One of the most important aspects of your home is its exterior. While its interior rooms are important, having a nice looking exterior is just as important for those who are seeking to purchase a house. Upgrading your home’s exterior is not a complex process for the most part, but you will need to have a plan to execute it effectively.
What can I upgrade from my home’s exterior?
Some easy upgrades that you can add to your home’s exterior include:
- Upgrading the hardware: most people that think about upgrading their front door usually think about just painting it along with the rest of the home’s exterior. But there are a variety of simple door-related upgrades that you can do such as changing your house number, replacing your old door handle with brass or blackened steel material.
- Adding outdoor art, plants: adding outdoor art such as sculptures and plants such as flower pots onto your front porch could make your home stand out even more.
Some more major upgrades that you can take for your home’s exterior include:
- Replace your gutters: your house’s gutters act as a form of protection from water damage taking place on your home. The gutter also acts as a frame around your roof and protects your home’s exterior. However, they can wear out over time. You can also replace your gutters with gutters that suit the colour and the style of your home. This can improve the appearance of your home.
- Deep clean the exterior: if you decide to paint the exterior of your home, it is best to clean it of any debris or dirt that it may have. The best method of doing this is by using pressure washing. Pressure washing is not too costly, but you will need to have an idea of how to use it. If you do not know how to use a pressure washer, it is best to contact a professional, to avoid potential water damages to your home.
- Upgrade your exterior lighting: lighting is not only important for keeping an area well lit, but it can also act as a decoration for your home’s exterior. If your lights do not currently work properly and look old, you should replace it with a new exterior lighting system.
- Upgrade the stones of your home’s exterior: upgrading the stones of your home’s exterior can completely change its appearance. However, you do not need to purchase real stones as they can be costly, instead you can opt for manufactured stones. Manufactured stones are significantly cheaper than real stones, but offer a very similar visual appearance. To upgrade the stones, you will need to contact a home exterior professional, unless you know how to replace your old exterior stones.
Note: Remember to consult a professional if you do not understand how to upgrade a specific part of your home’s exterior. This will save you time and money on unexpected repair expenses.